History

History

history-of-church

There has been a Catholic worshipping presence in Fareham since 1873, when the Catholic military chaplain began saying Mass weekly in a shed off West Street. A few years later, construction began on a permanent site in the centre of Fareham and in 1878 the Church of the Sacred Heart was opened. Over the decades, the Catholic community grew and a ‘daughter’ church, St. Philip Howard, was built in 1980. A third church was built in Portchester but was closed in 2010. Mass for the Portchester Catholic community was subsequently transferred to St Mary’s Anglican church at Portchester Castle.